The Nigerian Academy of Science (NAS) is the foremost independent scientific body in Nigeria which was established in 1977 (but incorporated in 1986). NAS is uniquely positioned to bring scientific knowledge to bear on the policies/strategic direction of the country and is also dedicated to the development and advancement of science, technology, and innovation in Nigeria.>
Applications are invited from eligible candidates for:
Title: Nigerian Academy of Science (NAS) Gold Medal Prize 2022 for Physical Sciences
- The Council of the Nigerian Academy of Science (NAS) has instituted a prize, “The Nigerian Academy of Science Gold Medal” which will be awarded to deserving Nigerian Scientists.
- This annual prize was established to recognize personal / team scientific excellence and is aimed at stimulating and rewarding excellence in Science, Technology and Innovation. It shall be awarded to the Scientist/s whose specific work has made the most impact in furthering the frontiers of knowledge and has made significant contributions to mankind with particular reference to the national context.
- It is the highest prize that the Academy would bestow on a Nigerian Scientist. The Prize is made of a certificate, medal of recognition and a purse.
The Call for Nomination
- The call for nomination for the 2022 NAS Gold Medal Prize Award is in the Physical Sciences
- Nomination for the Prize is made open from the 17th of May, 2022 to 12th of July, 2022.
- The public announcement of winner(s) of the Prize shall be made in October, 2022.
- The award is open to all Nigerian Scientists, except Fellows of the Nigerian Academy of Science (who are NOT eligible for nomination but can nominate candidate for consideration for the Prize).
To qualify for nomination for the Prize:
- Candidates must demonstrate outstanding merit through published works, patents and innovations and intellectual proprietary; s/he must have been nominated by at least two persons, one of whom is identified as the corresponding nominator
- The science prize is open to be awarded to a single individual or as joint prize arising from the work of more than one person in the same or different fields of science
- This year, the prize would recognize personal contributions to excellence in fundamental and applied research in the Physical Sciences. This may be the results of specific work done predominantly in Nigeria with international resonance, with a potential applicability to the world community
- Candidates for the prize must have made outstanding achievement that is widely accepted, ground breaking, original and the expected contribution should be widely accepted to the promotion of development through the application of the scientific knowledge.
The key criteria for the prize shall be:
- Documentation of papers published in recognized and international scientific journal(s)
- Impact of the result of scientific research and the significance of the research result in terms of knowledge generation in the community and advancement of solutions to specific problems and challenges relevant to the community and mankind including patents
- Recognitions such as (provision of evidence of nomination and letters of recommendation from people knowledgeable in the field, membership of Academies of Science (not NAS) and other awards of distinction).
- Must have been involved in active research in the broad field of consideration (Physical Sciences) for a significant period with documented contributions.
Application Closing Date
12th July, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the nomination form below. All forms must be completed electronically and submitted to: email@example.com
Click Here to Download Nomination Form (Ms Word)
For Further information, please contact:
The Executive Secretary,
The Nigerian Academy of Science, Academy House: 8A Ransome-Kuti Road,
University of Lagos Campus,
Postal Address: P.M.B. 1004 University of Lagos Post Office, Akoka,
Yaba – Lagos State.
Tel.: +234 808 962 2442
WE wish you all the best……kindly share, you might help someone get this